Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To be, or not to be...fit

      Why is it so hard to get in shape & stay in shape? Is it really a busy schedule, not enough money to invest in the right food, gym or equipment or a lack of discipline to be consistent? I ask myself these questions also wondering how much of a priority fitness should be and what kind of role it should have in my own life.
        I think it is helpful to know what I really am saying when I use terms such as "in shape". Here is a dictionary definition: "The proper condition of something necessary for action, effectiveness, or use: an athlete in excellent shape." In my case, I think it is necessary for me to be in physical condition to defend myself from any harm and perform daily activities without fatigue or injury to my body. Being in physical therapy school has taught me about the damage that can occur as a result of repetitive stresses on a deconditioned body.
        Fitness, another commonly used term, often refers to a conditioned heart under different circumstances. the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports They say fitness is "the ability to carry out daily tasks with vigor and alertness, without undue fatigue and with ample energy to enjoy lesiure time pursuits and to meet unforseen emergencies."  Another useful description comes from the American Heart Association and includes a phrase about achieving " a state of body efficiency enabling a person to exercise vigorously for a long time period without fatigue." (http://intenceman.tripod.com/id21.html). In other words, to be fit, really means to prevent disease, sickness or comorbities = better quality of physical life.


        Spiritually, I believe exercise could be seen as an issue of stewardship as well as a way to naturally balance hormones affecting one's state of mind. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. " This passage speaks about sinning against one's own body through sexual immorality. Taking care of one's body through physical fitness seems like a good way to avoid sinning against it in other ways such as gluttony. In principle, I desire to honor God with my body & put it to the best use possible. Even the Proverbs 31 woman, my role model for being a godly wife & mother, is known to have some degree of fitness v17."She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. " I would love to hear any of my reader's insights on biblical support for fitness.
        So what do I do? I try to make exercise a priority. This summer has been an opportune time to develop an exercise routine for myself as well as for my husband. I realize that I must be careful to not let it become an idol or an obession, but when balanced with higher priorities I believe it can be an blessing & an enjoyment! I also have accepted the fact that I will not always have the same metabolism. This year I will be turning 25 & want to discipline myself to be as fit as possible now so that when I do start to decline physiologically it will not be so hard to stay in shape...the habit will already be in place as well as a healthy baseline.
        Right now, with access to a state of the art gym at CSUN I enjoy zumba & yoga classes, swimming laps, racquetball & weight machines. Boxing will be my next weekly pursuit. Realistically, I know Jeff & I will not always have the time or finances for that level of activity so I have also designed a morning work-out routine for Jeff & I before he goes to work. This way, I hope to instill a lifelong routine of fitness that does not depend on a gym. With the 2012 summer olympics in London, I am sure we will have enough inspiration to go around!

photo credit: Herb Ritts “Jackie Joyner-Kersee", Point Dume, 1987
 

No comments:

Post a Comment