This Chilean drink/dessert is a summertime favorite & a very simple recipe. It is also the first thing I have made from my Chilean cookbook. If I was ambitious, I would start a blog about trying to make each of its recipes like Julie Powell. Mote (a wheat or barley) con Huesillos (peaches) is cooked together with water, sugar & cinnamon sticks until the peaches become soft. After chilled in the fridge it is ready for a sip/bite--Ahhh!
can you share the recipe in english? was it good?
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely an acquired taste. When I made it, it tasted a little too sweet, but after I added a little water I liked it. It seems to get even better as time goes on because the more it sits the more the barely & peaches absorb flavor. Here is the translated version of the recipe + some of my adaptations:
ReplyDeleteIngredients:
1lb peaches (approximately 4)
1 ½ cups of sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
13 cups of water
1 lb of pearl barley
Directions:
Soak the peaches in lukewarm water the day before cooking them. Cook the peaches in the amt. of water above with the sugar & cinnamon sticks until the peaches are soft (takes approximately 2 hours) Meanwhile, cook the barley according to package instructions. Let both cool in the fridge. Serve with barley in the bottom of a glass along with some pieces of peach (Pour liquid on top). Add more water or sugar to taste & enjoy!
Love the lay out of this posting! I applaud you making this recipe daughter! I´ve never tried it, but I LOVE IT in the summer season!
ReplyDelete