I believe this French crock pot recipe is a keeper. The downside is that it takes a lot of preparation, but once it is in the cooker, excellent taste is guaranteed. Don't forget a side of french bread! And what was my favorite part in the process? Steaming the parsnip! It smelled delicious. If I was an inventor I would immediately create parsnip scented candles.
Recipe:
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, 1 1/2 cups (1/2 inch thick) slices diagonally cut carrot, 1 cup slices of diagonally cut parsnip, 2 garlic cloves minced, 3 cups cooked Great northern beans, 3/4 cups vegetable broth, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1(28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained, 1 bay leaf, 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup (1oz) grated fresh Parmesan cheese (I used Kraft), 2 tbs butter, melted, 2 links frozen meatless(I used pork) Italian sausage (such as Boca) thawed & chopped , 2 tbs chopped fresh parsley.
Directions:
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, and garlic, cover and cook 5 minutes.
2. Place parsnip mixture in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add beans and next 6 ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
3. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and butter in a small bowl, toss with a fork until moist. Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture (I put the raw sausage in at the beginning), sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings (1 1/3 cups)
Did you know you wrote "34 cups of vegetable broth". What do parsnips look like and where are they in the supermarket? I´ve never cooked with them. Also, I´ve never found nor cooked with italian sausage....where do you find it?
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious! If I had the ingredients, I would try it!
Thanks for the heads up. I made the correction. Parsnips look like light yellow carrots. They are more ruddy looking, however, & can be found next to carrots in a grocery store here. I actually just used pork sausage links.
ReplyDelete