I have taken on Jane Eyre this summer (which has been recommended many a time by friends, but the movie actually convinced me-lame huh?) & am pleased with it so far. It sure has depth. Today I found these parts thought provoking:
"...I am far younger than you, and I could not bear it." (says Jane regarding punishment)
(Helen responds) "Yet it would be your duty to bear it, if you could not avoid it: it is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate to be required to bear." - from page 67
Helen again: "Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity, or registering wrongs. We are, and must be, one and all, burdened with faults in this world: but the time will soon come when, I trust, we shall put them off in putting off our corruptible bodies; when debasement and sin will fall from us with this cumbrous frame of flesh, and only the spark of the spirit will remain,"- pg70-71
I read that in English class in high school and my English teacher was sooo great in really discussing and analyzing this book that I really fell in love with reading and became an avid reader after that. I need to re-read that book in the future :)
ReplyDeleteNo way! & yes, re-read it:)The movie is worth watching as well.
ReplyDelete